Saturday, November 18, 2006

do you know your neighbors?

I like to walk next door occasionally and see what the boys are doing. I can usually find them watching a football game, drinking budweiser, and eating pizza. This is a typical Saturday afternoon for them. I suppose it's not really my scene. Although, I find myself to be very curious just to make sure they are doing exactly what I had predicted before I show up without an invite.
I like to drink coffee on the lido deck in the mornings. I have the luxury of a nice view of the bay and watching the elderly lady walk her big fluffy white dog every morning. Sometimes I daydream what it would be like to share a beautiful morning with your pet. They always look so happy together.
On other side of my house, you can find a group a girls always smoking cigarettes and chatting. I can see them from my roof and wonder why they have never tried to befriend me. Word got out in the neighborhood and apparently it's a rehabilitation home. So I guess they won't be inviting me over for a nice glass of wine.
From my bedroom window I always here the teenage boys talking about the waves. It saves me a walk to the beach to check them out myself . I guess it's irrelevant considering I have only surfed a handful of times. There's about 20 surfboards in the garage and at least 10 beach cruisers. Of course they have the really cool Newport Beach mom who drives a black BMW and a white SUV to haul the kids around.
Observing your surroundings and knowing my neighbors is apart of my daily ritual. However, I never asked myself why. I guess it's just human nature and the desire to not only exist but to exist with others.

No comments: